CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 3, 2009

Grocery Carts Gone Wild!



Ann Arbor has a serious grocery cart problem. I noticed shortly after arriving that there are always abandoned grocery carts lining our street. I wondered where they came from, how they got there, and if they were really trying to escape the grocery store and explore the city--they are often found at bus stops and cross walks as if they just can't find the nerve to board that bus or cross that street. Actually, the mystery wasn't that difficult to solve because a careful observer will notice a steady stream of Asian students (seriously, I have only seen one white person participating in this mass theft of grocery carts) hauling their groceries home to the dorm or apartment in the grocery cart. This violates every grocery cart law that I have ever experienced. Shocking! It took me a little while to allow for the possible cultural difference that may be at the heart of this issue. We are an incredibly diverse community here in Ann Arbor. There is a constant influx of Asian people moving in who are clearly here from their home country. I am so impressed by them. They have to figure out everything new--the language, the school, the cell phone plans, the bus system, where to buy furniture, where to buy food, and how to get it home when you don't have a car. I was headed to the store myself the other day when I witnessed a University of Michigan maintenance vehicle picking up abandoned carts and hauling them back to the grocery store. I guess the university and the grocery store have found a way to make this work. With this great mystery finally solved, I just enjoy the diversity here and laugh at our grocery cart issues. The first photo was taken outside a Panera Bread where this lonely cart was looking longingly into the window, clearly hoping for some delicious tomato soup (my favorite). The second photo is near the bus stop. Clearly this poor cart was just pushed into the trees where it has to await the UofM maintenance truck. At least it was enjoying the sun this afternoon.

No comments: