The wish I always made in childhood
before the blazing candles or when asked
what gift I wanted the Three Kings to bring
was a red pickup, which Mami vetoed
as inappropriate. And so I improvised,
trading in speed for a pair of cowboy boots,
bright red with rawhide tassels that would swing
when I swaggered into my fourth-grade class
asking for an exemption from homework
from my strict teacher, Mrs. Brown from Maine.
She called my mother weekly to complain
of my misbehaviors, among them
a tendency to daydream instead of
finding the common denominator.
(But what had I in common with fractions?
I wanted the bigger, undivided world!)
She was one more woman in a series
of dissuaders against that red pickup
in all its transformations, which at root
was a driving desire to be a part
of something bigger than a pretty girl,
the wild, exciting world reserved for boys:
guns that shot noisy hellos! in the air
and left crimson roses on clean, white shirts;
firecrackers with scarlet explosions
that made even my deaf grandfather jump.
I wanted what God wanted when He made
the world, to be a driving force, a creator.
And that red pickup was my only ride
out of the common denominator.
This is a poem by Julia Alvarez that I love. I promised to share it with Suzanne when we were talking literature over Christmas and thought that everyone else might enjoy it as well. I loved my red wedding shoes. Maybe I have a secret longing for a red pickup as well!
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow, isn't she great! Julia Alverez's stories and poems always leave me with an excited tighting in my chest...she just makes me want to jump up and yell. A wonderful freedom of spirit...
Post a Comment