CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I always cry on election day.

Election day always brings me to tears as I watch the results come in. We do something in our country that is impossible for so many people in our world. We have a peaceful transfer of power every four to eight years. No matter how much I may hate Obama or McCain, I am not going to revolt when the winner is declared. TJ and I went to the polls this morning. We stood in line before the poll opened and waited for one and a half hours. People were joyous, celebrating our right to have a say in our destiny. I may be only one small vote, but many smalls make a big. Can you imagine when women didn't get to vote. What it must have been like to finally have a say, to have your society say "we value your opinion and trust you to make a good decision." I think of the people voting in Iraq and proudly displaying their blue fingers. We have stickers instead, but the pride should be the same. I am always so proud of my country no matter who wins. We can complain on Wednesday morning or celebrate, but we don't have to fear a violent uprising and know that all will be well and we will try again in four years. Think of the overwhelming task of getting millions of people to go to the right place, to know the issues, and to make a decision that will change the course of our country's future. Somehow we make it work. Yes, there are mistakes, broken voting machings, long lines, and people who fall through the cracks. Yes, we need to fix those things, but they do not represent the majority. In the big picture we accomplish something amazing, and it always brings me to tears. May we have a prosperous and peaceful four years no matter who wins.

No comments: