
"I remember how I seemed to float down the melancholy glory of that track upon the sea, away into the world of dreams." DickensI just finished reading David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. I am reading it for the second time, this time for a book club. I remember liking it when I read it for school, but it is even better the second time around. Dickens is truly masterful in his weaving of many plots together into one and his creation of interesting characters that the reader can truly and passionately love or hate. Dickens doesn't make it a simple good versus evil story. He is always cheering for the underdog, lifting the needs of the forgotten to the attention of his reader. He is always challenging the reader to rethink stereotypes and see a person in a new way. I recommend this book to everyone and encourage you all to give it time. It may take 100 pages to really get into the story, but the last 200 pages are so worth it. I couldn't put the book down most of the day yesterday even though I already knew how it ended. Dickens is as relevant today as he was in his own day. His message speaks to humanity of any time. Enjoy the novel.
"'Never,' said my aunt, 'be mean in anything; never be false; never be cruel. Avoid those three vices, Trot, and I can always be hopeful of you.'" Dickens
1 comment:
Kelly, I truly love to hear your comments on classics such as this. You make me appreciate them even more. I now want to run out and read this one again. Please write in about the next book you complete. Love you and am so glad to see you on here. Give TJ a hug for me...maybe two!
Post a Comment